May 18, 2007

Oh, what's the point?

We got yearbooks today. Mine has my name engraved on a little metal plaque. It looks really cool. And they told me that only special people get their names on plaques. So I felt special. I squealed a little. Now I want to ask my workers to sign my yearbook, but it seems to juvenile. Maybe Michael will sign mine.

Speaking of Michael, he was born 24 years ago today. He actually doesn't want people to call him. Seriously, he told me this earlier today. So maybe email him. My point is: I love him and he's awesome and he's a great husband. For instance: he always does the dishes for me because he knows I hate it. Even though he hates it too. And he's really patient with me when I'm crazy and neurotic, which happens a lot. Like yesterday I had a little anxiety attack and huddled under a blanket for a few minutes and cried. And Michael just calmly made me a sandwich so that at least I wouldn't be hungry when I was done with my panic attack. So those are just two of the things that make Michael wonderful to me. I'm sure you have your own reasons for loving him. There are many. Pick one and email him about it. Or just email him to say hello.

In other news, I taught my last class yesterday. It was a very exciting moment. Now I just have 40 some papers to grade and I'm done! And I failed someone. That was like an adult moment. Let them be responsible for cheating and not turning in their work all semester. Not be nice and let them pass when they don't deserve it. I wasn't a pushover. I feel a little proud about it and a little horrified. Last week I stood up to some parents who called and wanted me to change their daughter's grade just because she was sad about it. And I stood my ground. I was proud of myself. But when I write it all down like this I think I sound like a horrible person. Still, it felt good not to get steam-rolled over.

On Sunday we leave for Virginia Beach. Should be an exciting time. Busch Gardens and the beach and a dinner cruise and all sorts of merriment. Or something. We'll see. Then graduation, staff meetings and heading south for the summer. Items are being checked off the list, slowly but surely.

Amen.

2 comments:

Leslie said...

So first of all...Happy Birthday Michael!!! you~re just a spring chicken! I love Michael for many reasons as well - he is just one of the most amazing men I know. I think what I love most though is how well he loves you. It gives me hope and makes me so happy for you because no one deserves it more than you.

And on the other note - I am way proud of you for standing your ground and for making a tough choice to fail someone. It~s weird that that is even a "choice" you have to make you know? You didn~t do your work - you got a failing grade...ergo you fail the class. Parents can be ridiculous too - they should be calling their kid telling them to work harder, offer support, get a tutor, ect. if they want a better grade. and calling you to support you and find out what their kid can do to improve...not asking you to change their grade. and again i say RIDICULOUS!

I sent Wendy an email again so hopefully she got it this time. If you talk to her again ask her for me, kay? pretty please because i really want to work at camp for a week now.

Love you

and this better post because i will scream if it doesn~t work!

Carissa said...

Oh my goodness! Parents. I am totally with you on the failing someone and sticking to your decision about someone's grade. People need to realize that it's their decision on what grade they're getting, not yours. I tell you what. I feel for you. It's hard, but it's what you gotta do.

Good job. Hope your vacation is great.